It has been one heck of a week...

The past 10 days have been a whirlwind, to say the least. Now I am ready to tell the story. 

Last Wednesday, Dr. Carol and the girls took their annual trip to New York to spend some quality time with her family. Typically while they are in New York, I continue to work and hold down the fort at home. This year was going to be no different...

Before anyone in my house was even awake, I headed into the office. About an hour after coaching one of our Freedom Strength classes, I noticed that my nose started running. I typically get seasonal allergies, but not in the summer, and it was running a little more than it typically would this time of the year. It wasn't horrible, but it seemed to last longer than I would have expected. After finishing my morning shift, I headed home to take the dogs for a walk. The dogs were excited to see me and they definitely needed to stretch their legs. Before I took them on their walk, I decided to, out of an abundance of caution, give myself a rapid COVID test. After finishing the swabbing, I left the house and took the dogs for a 15 minute walk. Bear in mind I have been able to avoid contracting COVID for over 2 years. Truly expecting another negative test, imagine my surprise when I walked in the door to a positive result on my rapid test.

Shock and disbelief. They were the only emotions that I felt at time. There was no time to dwell on it though, because I had an afternoon filled with patients, one of which would be in my office in less than 30 minutes. Time to grab the phone and cancel the rest of my day. After that was done, I reached out to Nancy for help because we needed to cancel the patients that were scheduled for Thursday and Friday too. She was able to cancel them while I called all of the patients that had been in the office earlier that morning to make them aware of my positive test.

Making those calls was a little frightening. Unsure how people would respond to my news, I picked up my phone and started dialing anyway. Most seemed unconcerned because we were all wearing masks in the office anyway, but making those calls was the right thing to do. That is one of the non-negotiables in my life. When given the choice, ALWAYS chose to do the right thing.

What a nightmare. 

One of the largest concerns, in preparing for the girl's annual trip, is always making sure that I can get home in time to give the dogs a break and get them outside. Now because of the positive COVID test, that was not an issue because I would not be leaving the house until Monday at the earliest. They would not be left alone at all. 

Picture this. For 48 hours, I think I was either sitting on the couch or laying in my bed. I think that I watched more television in that period than I had in the past 2 months combined. Hydration, rest, and good nutrition became my focus during that 48 hour window. Carol and the girls checked in on me, through Facetime, several times per day, and always commented on the fact that I was in the same spot. Gradually, during that time, my health began to improve. 

By Monday morning, I felt that I was completely back to normal. With each passing day, my health has continued to improve, and I can only hope that we don't have to go through that again any time soon!


Movement is my medicine,


Dr. William "Chip" Bleam

Dr. William "Chip" Bleam


Contact Me